Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Will the real FOLLOWERS please stand up........

Yes the title is cheesy to this post and I have to admit that for some reason the old Eminem song came into my head when I was thinking about writing this post. I just keep coming back to this thought that very few people around these day would people consider to be a true and honest followers of Christ. Now, I know everyone’s pride inside always at this point in reading something like this tells them that they must be talking about other people. But I want you to take a deep look inside yourself because I feel like this is something we all need to take a look into. If when you look deep inside yourself you see your own desires versus that of what Christ wants then we need to check out hearts. I continually look at myself and start thinking that I need to do something to become the follower that Christ longs for, to finally pray the way David prayed and to serve the way Paul served. But so often I end up fading back instead of letting Christ take control because I feel like I am the only one trying. I believe everyone reading this note has felt the same way when they feel God pulling their own hearts.

I am curious, to be honest, what a true honest follower of Christ looks like. I see what the bible says about it and I know what some people in history have done when they let Christ take control and finally let go. But I am curious what it looks like right before my eyes. Would I notice? Would I call that person crazy or radical? Would I step up and join them in living the way God wants? I can not honestly answer these questions and I think honestly that many of you cannot ether, but I know something, and that is that as followers of Christ we have a longing in our heart for more. A desire to get out of the mediocrity of this life, and to finally step up and let God use us for something that truly does matter.

I agree that it is hard at times and it makes it hard when you fall into a group of people that have let the complacent Christian walk be a part of their lives. Complacency at times is a hard beast to overcome and to over come it takes a lot of prayer and guidance from God. I just sit hear wondering what if we got over our complacency? What if we let God breaks us apart and reform us the way he would like to versus how we want to be pieced together? What if the question who are the real followers of Christ never had to be asked again? I sit here thinking about how many tables God would turn over in front of me before I finally get that his way is always better then mine.

This world needs Christ and there is no way around that and I believe we have stayed silent to long. We are not called to hide behind the walls of our churches or our campus ministries we are called to go. And sometimes that means it will not be safe. Just look at Paul in Acts 14:19-20. He gets stoned and dragged outside the city where he was preaching and what was the first thing he did when he got back up? Walked directly back into the town that just stoned him and dragged him and many people became disciples because of that. I truly believe God is calling us today to do some radical things for his name. And it is time we stand up and honestly mean it when we say “God use me.” Not another meaningless prayer we say every Sunday at church but a honest sincere prayer. Let us rise for God and let us go and change this world for His name. God is calling, will you listen?

“God is not looking for nibblers of the possible but for grabbers of the impossible.” - C.T. Studd

“He MUST become greater, I MUST become less” John 3:30

“Father make in me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to a decision, let me not be a single road. Make me a fork that man must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me"" Jim Elliot

2 comments:

ROBERT LLOYD RUSSELL said...

Great post!!
Amen to all you wrote.
May God continue to bless you and your ministry for Him.

Jacob Russell said...

Brent,

Thanks for the reminder to stop and take a look at why I am doing what I am doing!

Jacob